Gay + Nerd = Awesome

Hey, guys! I'm Shane Cherry, The Quintessential Gaymer, and I'm known as the Gaymer Promoter of NYC. If you're a gay boy and you like video games, sci fi, anime, or other nerdy stuff, chances are, you're a "gaymer." And this blog is for you.

I throw regular parties at some of NYC's hottest party spots for even hotter boys, but I can't share all my favorite games in that kind of setting. Nobody wants to watch one guy play FF VII at a nightclub all night. So check in here to find out about all kinds of games -- gay-oriented or just plain awesome -- as well as finding out about new parties coming up, some video game news, and a sprinkling of some other nerdy stuff that tickles my fancy. Enjoy! ^_^

-SC

Monday, July 2, 2012

Working Out with Persona

Okay, so summer is here, and gaymers, though considered more attractive than our straight counterparts in general, let's face it -- We're not known for our svelte toned bodies.  And anyone who is an exception... well, I want to kill you with fire as much as I want to take you to bed.  But with beach trips on the horizon, it's time for some simple tips to get into shape!
Face facts -- Sometimes we look like this dude.

There's no good workout game.  It's a fact.  Sure, there's Wii Fitness, but that's more of a game than a workout.  And Jillian Michaels Fitness Adventure or Zumba Fitness might get you moving, but it's tough to have the motivation for that because you're really just doing a workout, not playing a game.  That's why I came up with the RPG Work Out Strategy (TM)!

This is designed for use with Persona 3 or 4.  Why?  Because I love Persona.  Simple as that.  And it's easy.  Games like Persona have a ton of breaks in them.  So it's easy to stop what you're doing for thirty seconds to take a break and do some exercising.  I've been doing push ups, because they're less obtrusive than sit ups, can be done in a variety of ways to hit various muscles, and 'cause my pecs need work.  So every time I hit a benchmark in the game, I do a predetermined amount of exercising.  Check out this handy dandy table:

There are perks to playing this way..
Mainly looking at/like Teddie.



Increase Main Character stat (Academics, Courage, etc) = 3 push ups
Greatly increase MC stat = 6 push ups
Max MC Stat = 10 push ups
Form new Social Link = 5 push ups
Social Link up = 5 push ups
Max Social Link = 10 push ups
Fuse Persona = 1 push up per Social Link level
Open rare chest = 3 push ups
Defeat minor required boss = 5 push ups
Defeat major required boss = 10 push ups
Defeat minor optional boss (example: earning legend weapons in P4) = 10 push ups
Defeat major optional boss (example: The Reaper) = 20 push ups
Finish a quest = 5 push ups
2nd cycle or higher = all values x2

This seems like a lot, but including breaks, running around in dungeons, and cinema sequences, you'll find you accomplished something without killing yourself.  And remember, you can trade out what you're doing.  It's actually the repetition that will cause it to have benefit, but if you want to focus on abs one day and chest the next, do sit ups the first day, then the push ups.  Also, towards the end of the game, you'll be doing a lot more of everything.  Persona 4's Tower Arcana frequently gives 11-15 per scene, and fusing just a handful of Persona at end game can hit 40 easily.

Kanji must have just beat Namatame!  Feel the burn!
Is 40 push ups a work out? Absolutely not.  But if you play as long as I do, you'll probably around 100 regularly in a session, and although you could accomplish that and much more at a gym in an hour, if you're not going to the gym, you might as spend 3 hours at home playing video games and getting a little bit of a burn going.  So that's my take on things!

Of course, if you already look amazing (Go die in a fire) you can always make this a drinking game.  Divide all values by 3 (round up the 5s and round down everything else) and you're there!  Expect to be too sloshed to figure out the story by the end of the night!

Hopefully, this gets a few other gaymers off their butts and into some skimpy swimsuits.  I know it's the only way I can get myself to do anything even close to exercise, but now that I'm moving, I'm starting to feel it, and I can see it making a difference, so maybe I'll load up a DS Shin Megami Tensei game and Black Frost and I will see you boys on the beach!


Party News!

Hardcore @Vlada is going strong and the next one is Wed July 18!  And it's my birthday party!  o=^(o^_,_^o)^=o  (That's an excited Pikachu, if you can't tell.)  I'll have the whole game library with me, but featured games are going to be Champions: Return to Arms (PS2), Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii), and Skylanders Spyro's Adventure (Wii).  Skylanders will be on our new big screen!  We've got $6 drink specials and there will even be CAKE.  Who doesn't love cake?  So come out and lets play!  Oh, and presents are encouraged!  (^_~)oV

No comments:

Post a Comment